A few months ago I was selected to produce a documentary with the BBC about harmful skin care ingredients due to my experience creating and using natural skin care products and knowledge I have on the industry.
In the documentary I alongside the presenter visited a cosmetic scientist at her laboratory to discuss some deeply concerning studies that have been done on ingredients found in our everyday skincare products
It was an amazing experience and one which I am glad I will be able to share with you what I learnt and how that effects you.
Now the reason there was a real need for me to bring you a few points about my time is because when I was with the scientist she was completely unable to answer more than half of the questions I asked. So many times straight after I asked her something she literally took a step back and said cut because she couldn’t give a solid answer. Many times she just looked totally perplexed 🤔.
So that’s a quick explanation of what this is about next I’ll get into what I learnt.
- First lesson I learnt was to say yes, I know this point isn’t totally focused on skin care but so many times in my life have I said no to things and for some reason I said yes to this put myself out there and it was day to remember I swear. And when things going right they happen quick remember that 😉.
- Second Parabens are dangerous, banned in several European countries these substances are dangerous something that was confirmed by the scientist.
- Three Parabens have been proven to increase the risk of breast cancer due to the fact that they mimick estrogen.
- Four studies have linked Parabens to early puberty in girls this is because of the fact they mimick estrogen. This increases the hormone levels in the body causing earlier puberty and answers the question why puberty has been getting earlier in recent decades.
- Five this information is widely shared not just on the effects of Parabens but if harmful skincare ingredients like Phthalates, triclosan, Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) and many more. With some studies even being published on the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/news/pregnancy-and-child/chemicals-cosmetics-and-perfumes-linked-earlier-puberty-girls/.
To me this was exceptionally worrying as I couldn’t understand why as a large multinational company you would risk giving your customers people who trust products that contain something potentially harmful.
Now there was a lot that was left out of the documentary and that wasn’t a surprise. The initial purpose of it was to reassure the public that these products are safe and the BBC is going to do anything controversial and side against big business at the end of the day.
So the largest takeaway that I took is there is a need for skincare education an education on all personal care, personal care products and their ingredients. There is a need for a personal care company that has integrity at its core and doesn’t hold them self too highly above people and behind a farsical made up name.
And here we arrive a few months later Care By Jords is born a personal care company with ambitions greater than its components and abnormally high integrity. A company created for you.